Are you looking for a quirky new DIY ornament for your Christmas Tree or a unique gift for a loved one this year? Our Christmas Bubble Wrap Salt Dough Decorations are simple enough for kids to make and the results are showstopping.
My kids have really been looking forward to starting our Christmas craft sessions. This time last year we were in the midst of moving house (3 days before Christmas!). Which didn’t leave much time between packing and organising for making DIY Christmas decorations. We only just managed to throw up our old artificial tree before Santa arrived. This year we were determined to make up for it with a BIG real Christmas tree.
A bigger tree meant we were in need of a bigger supply of baubles to decorate it. I decided to whip up a batch of salt dough to get us started. Salt dough is a classic material to make Christmas decorations with and to give it a new twist, we incorporated our favourite craft material Bubble Wrap. After a bit of experimentation, we discovered rolling the bubble wrap over the rolled out dough was an excellent way to add a fun new texture to it, which would look even more effective when painted.
- Mix together the flour and salt. Gradually add in the water until a stiff dough is formed.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface and lay the bubble wrap over it bubble side up. Use a rolling pin to press down the bubble pattern into the dough.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters to cut out shapes from the salt dough. Use a pencil to add a small hole towards the top of the decoration for a hanging loop.
- Lay the shapes onto a baking tray and pop into a pre-heated over at 180C for approx 1 hour or until the salt dough is set hard.
- Let them cool before painting.
- Once dry add a layer of PVA glue or Modge Podge sealant to create a glossy finish.
- Thread a piece of string through the loop for hanging on your Christmas tree.
We are very proud to introduce our second book, Green, Crafty & Creative: Natural and Recycled Activities for Kids. Click here to download a copy of the e-book version NOW!