It seems to have been a bumper year for Cherry Blossom Trees in Ireland this spring. Almost every time we go out somewhere; we are treated to the sight of a gorgeous tree abundant with pink blossoms. Feeling inspired (and a bit sad that we chopped down our own cherry blossom tree last year to make room for hubby’s new shed sob!) I just had to make some pictures of them at home with the kids.We decided to put our favourite junk art materials to good use on our cherry blossom tree pictures. Using bubble wrap to recreate the delicate pink petals on the tree and a brown paper bag for the trunk and leaves.
How to make a bubbly blossom tree picture
You will need:
Brown paper bag
Sheet of bubble wrap
Piece of cardboard
1. Tear one large strip and several smaller strips of paper from a brown paper bag to use for the tree trunk and branches.
2. Glue these onto a sheet of paper.
3. Cut out a square of bubble wrap and attach it the bottom of a cup using an elastic band. We used some plastic cups left over from a recent party, but you could use any cups you have to hand.
4. Dip the bubble wrap into some pink paint and press this over the branches to create lots of lovely cherry blossoms on your tree. I poured our pink paint into a paper plate for easy clean up after the activity had finished.
5. To finish of our pictures we added on some grass underneath our trees. We used the edge of a piece of cardboard dipped into green paint to dab along the bottom of the paper to make it.
For another great Junk Art idea pop over and take a look at our Junk Art Robot
over on Hands on:as we Grow.